one sick puppy

I use to take some degree of pride in never having set foot in the Smokey Mountains. I preferred Paris to Pigeon Forge and Nuremberg to that Gatlin place. I was awful like that. Anyway, a few weeks ago I had to pay a visit to the University of Tennessee’s School of Veterinary Medicine after hearing on strict authority they were the best of the best. (As a side, The Small Animal Clinic there was far superior, and in better form than any NHS Hospital I’ve seen in England. Ever.) The patient in question was my mother’s 2-year-old 3-pound Yorkshire Terrier, Muffy. Yes. Muffy. The prognosis – bad.

Muffy (c) Holt

Muffy has both congenital and acquired portosystemic liver shunts. And even though shunts are what the folks at Tennessee do best they weren’t able to help her. At all. So, her days are numbered…drastically. She’s a bouncy little thing most of the time, but this could change at any moment. Arrangements have already been made with the local vet to attend upon my mother’s home when the time comes.

I’m not really an animal person, rumours to the contrary aside. But this even breaks my heart.

• Marina
    Dec 7, 2006 at 18:26

That is one of the cutest doggy pictures I’ve ever seen!

I’m sorry to hear about the little one.

• anne
    Dec 7, 2006 at 18:27

That is awful. I am pouting for the little guy.

• Misti
    Dec 7, 2006 at 19:32

Oh Buff! That makes me so sad. Give Mom and Muffy kisses for me.

• Flora
    Dec 7, 2006 at 21:56

That’s so sad! and only 2 yrs old!

• Frannie Farmer
    Dec 8, 2006 at 0:03

Oh, mine too. So sad!

• Jay
    Dec 8, 2006 at 2:11

It’s always sad to say goodbye to a member of the family; I hope however many days remain are good ones.

• Sweeti
    Dec 8, 2006 at 3:35

Awwww Buffy as a Yorkie mom too that’s just wrong, Muffy is sooooo cute. I can’t even imagine my Emmy lou with the same fate. We’re pretty tight and she is literally my shadow that makes me smile more thru the day. Hugs to your mom and muffy.

• Katherine
    Dec 8, 2006 at 17:59

So sorry for the bad prognosis. I think losing a beloved pet is one of the hardest things to go through in life.

• Steph
    Dec 8, 2006 at 19:17

i pray that your mom will be able to cope!! 🙁 i know its going to be hard on her considering muffy is like her baby!!

Dec 10, 2006 at 5:37

Since I am about to plunge into being a dog mommy (teacup shih tsu) again, this really strikes home. How sad that he is so young with such a serious disease. Does she have him on additive free food from healthfood store?

It really is something how three pounds can work its way deep into our hearts. How kind of you to feel pain even though this is outside of your own journey.

Sorry to be absent from your life for so long. Just busy beyond words with the salon move and all.

Dec 10, 2006 at 14:25

I am so sorry about Muffy 🙁

• S William Shaw
    Dec 10, 2006 at 14:57

What kind of cat is that?

Dec 10, 2006 at 18:10

Shaw, you made me smile.

Everyone, thanks for the show of kindness.

Hattie, PLEASE remember to have your little teacup’s bile acids tested either by the breeder (ask to see the test results) or ON THE DAY you get him/her.

Shih tzu’s, like yorkies, are prone to liver shunts. Teacup dogs especially (Muffy is a teacup yorkie).

The breeders gave Muffy a clean bill of health. And my mother never knew to ask for bile acid results or to test Muffy herself. Obviously the breeders were dishonest, because she was born with one of the shunts and they didn’t tell my mother this. And if she had been treated for this as soon as it was discovered, the liver may not have developed additional ones to cope.

Very sad. My mother is positively distraught. Hattie, make certain you ask about bile acid tests in any teacup dog.
    x
    B.

Dec 10, 2006 at 19:48

Thank you Buffy. My tendency is to make these emotional decisions and not do the homework. I will ask her now to provide me with those test results.
    I feel so badly for your mom. It really is like losing a human family member. Just aweful.
    What a comfort you must be to her.

• kenju
    Dec 11, 2006 at 3:43

Muffy is precious. We used to have a dog that looked like a Yorkie, but was bigger, and her name was Muffin. I am sorry that your mom’s Muffy will not be around much longer.

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:34

There’s something about dogs that makes them impossible not to adore! I hope your momma knows she has our support!

• Ryane
    Dec 12, 2006 at 13:48

Oh dear…what a sweet little face. My condolences.

• singlemuslimah
    Dec 16, 2006 at 2:58

Oh, no. Muffy’s so adorable. I’m sure she’s been a joy to your mother. She has my condolences.