random roma: trajan

Trajan's Column

Collapsing beneath Trajan’s Column after walking too far afield in four inch heels.

Marcus Ulpius Nerva Traianus, or ‘Trajan’, was the second of the Five Good Emperors of the Roman Empire. The Empire reached its greatest territorial extent under his rule. The Column was raised by Apollodorus of Damascus at the order of the Senate and stands in what remains of Trajan’s forum. Inaugurated in AD 113, the relief portrays Trajan’s two victorious military campaigns against the Dacians (Romanians); the lower half illustrating the first, and the top half illustrating the second.

Now…Am on my way to Pa’s. To collect veggies and to ready for the Big Bird. Need dessert ideas. Because I’m pumpkin pie and the turkey – and I don’t like pumpkin pie. Any ideas (i.e. super secret family recipes)?

• Flora
    Nov 21, 2006 at 17:34

Is this also nicknamed “Cleopatra’s Column?” If so, the best ice cream in Rome is near there at Gioliti. If this is not the piazza I’m thinking of, then def hunt down Gioliti. I recommend that for dessert! You can even eat if for breakfast, its sooo good!

• Andrea
    Nov 21, 2006 at 18:53

Hey, you’re a Stephanie Klein fan, right? She had a scrumptious sounding recipe for sweet potatoes on her blog last week. She even said if done right it’s like a dessert. Don’t know that I’m personally ambitious enough to try a recipe by someone so accomplished at cooking but I thought it was worth a mention. And maybe there was another recipe for a dessert, too.

• terry
    Nov 21, 2006 at 20:28

tirramsu, I used to go to an italian place and carlo made this tirramsu to die for and pieces of dark choclate in cream oh and i used to mix courvoisier and cointreau in equal amounts would probably kill me now LOL

• themarina
    Nov 21, 2006 at 23:32

Wow. That’s beautiful!

• kenju
    Nov 22, 2006 at 14:10

Pumpkin pie IS my specialty, so no ideas here. You got a good photo of the column – mine stunk. I can’t believe you wore 4″ heels. I could barely walk on the cobble-stones in Rome in flats.

Have a good Thanksgiving!

Nov 22, 2006 at 15:17

Andrea, I’ve just had a check…don’t know how I missed that. Thanks! Looks great.

Kenju, I can’t believe it either. I tell myself the same thing every time I go on ‘walk abouts’. Uggs (I don’t care how Uggly they are…my feet adore them.), ballet flats, riding boots. These are the staples of city walks. Not platforms/heels. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving as well!