july 4

Funny thing. The British don’t really celebrate the 4th. This year, neither do I.

The killer bug reared its ugly head again on Sunday.

Seriously, folks. It’s evil. I woke the next morning with broken blood vessels all over my face. People wouldn’t sit beside me in the doctor’s office. A kid asked if I had bird flu. Ebola, maybe? My doctor just said “You vomited hard, huh?”, and “It’ll heal up in a week.”

My doctor has one excellent bedside manner.

In the meantime I look like an old man who’s had too much to drink and too much to smoke. I’ll be spending the holiday sleeping in front of a fan, because bad skin and gut cramps make me hot and stress me out.

Someone, anyone…eat a dog and drink a cold one for me. And if you have any potato salad, throw that on as well. Just don’t tell my stomach.

Happy 4th!

• Amy K
    Jul 4, 2006 at 19:05

Buffy, I am sorry that you are feeling ill again. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated. I drank a Blue Moon for you, don’t worry! I am sorry you are missing the Fourth; I bet the Brits are still a bit sore, eh? 😉

• sage
    Jul 4, 2006 at 19:38

sure hope you get better… wonder why the Brits don’t celebrate the 4th… they might have lost a colony, but think of the jokes they’ve been able to make at our expense.

• anne
    Jul 4, 2006 at 21:32

That’s no fun at all! My sister-in-law and her hubby are in town with us for this holiday and they’re sick too, so it kind of threw off all the plans here.

But we’ll be sure to grill some dogs tonight just for you! 🙂 And sit on our roof to watch the fireworks.

• windblownbutterfly
    Jul 4, 2006 at 22:32

If it makes you feel any better, the weather here sucks, it’s been raining all night and all day… most of the holiday festivities have been canceled and a similar “bug” is making it’s rounds here as well. We feel your pain. 🙂 Get well soon!

• mamakraft
    Jul 5, 2006 at 1:52

Oh Buffy, I am so sad for you. But I will use any excuse I can to eat potato salad during my *carb free* week … :o) Feel better sweets!

• PEA
    Jul 5, 2006 at 2:43

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well:-( Hopefully it won’t last too long and you’ll soon be back on your feet!!

• Popeye
    Jul 5, 2006 at 13:14

Wow. That sounds truly awful. I do hope you feel better, soon.

• amanda
    Jul 5, 2006 at 13:32

feel better, sweetheart.
    xoxo

• Lynn
    Jul 5, 2006 at 14:05

Gross. That is a terrible way to spend a holiday. Hope you feel better right quick!

• Night Writer
    Jul 5, 2006 at 15:20

Yuck-o. I feel it. I went through a two or three-year period several years ago where every so often I would suddenly get 8 hours of hell: “everybody out, two exits – no waiting.” At first there seemed to be no rhyme or reason, and the docs couldn’t find anything wrong. I finally twigged that these bouts were invariably in proximity to high-stress triggers (and there’s nothing that helps ease your stress levels like feeling as if you’re going to be found dead in your bathroom with vomit-caked lips, clutching a roll of toilet paper). Funny thing – as soon as I made the connection, I stopped getting the attacks. I don’t know if this is what you’re facing (and by all means, press those Brit docs and don’t accept, “that’s just the way it is, innit?”), but our bodies and brains interact in some interesting and mysterious ways. God bless you.

• Nichole
    Jul 5, 2006 at 15:32

Happy fourth to you, too! Hope you feel better soon!

Jul 5, 2006 at 15:53

Night Writer….This stress thing. You could be right. This weekend, before the ‘bug’, I went around saying “I have never been so stressed in my life”. It’s all good stress, really, but it’s SO MUCH. I need to calm down and breathe.

Everyone else, thanks so much for all the well wishes and vicarious eating.

• Tammy
    Jul 5, 2006 at 16:33

Girl…you better now you hear???
    😀

• Deanna
    Jul 5, 2006 at 18:42

Ohhh! You feel better! I had a good hangover on the 4th, but neatly overcame it with beer! Take care of yourself!

Jul 5, 2006 at 19:29

Poor you! I hope you feel better SOON!

Oh and I drank some sangria in your honor. Well I didn’t know it at the time, but now I dedicate it to you 😉

• Percival
    Jul 5, 2006 at 20:03

We both had fourths to remember then.

• sophie
    Jul 5, 2006 at 21:08

ooh. your fourth was all lovely as mine! i spent it curled on the couch with a fever. nothing like spending three hours in an emergency room on a holiday. hope you’re feeling better too.

• Janet
    Jul 6, 2006 at 2:27

Oh, poor thing, feel better!

• Shanon
    Jul 6, 2006 at 5:06

If you aren’t preggers, well then….what the hell is wrong with you? My remedy, and please follow: (the good) ginger ale, bouillion, saltines, and jello after you feel stable. A little gatorade to hydrate is good as well. Good Luck Love!

Jul 6, 2006 at 5:29

Sophie…hope you’re feeling better.

Shanon…my mother is convinced I’m pregnant, and hiding it from her. She will accept no other excuse. She is wrong. And the saltines…I had some for lunch yesterday. They were divine. Will hit the gatorade today.

• Steph
    Jul 6, 2006 at 14:45

Your fourth was much like my new years…..except mine was my 1 year old throwing up out of both ends!!! Stayed in the emergancy room most of the night! I hope you get better and im sure you are as pretty as you always are!

• Melissa
    Jul 6, 2006 at 15:10

I once threw up so much that I broke all the blood vessels in my face, too. When I finally got a look at myself in my hospital room’s mirror, I looked like someone had beaten me in the head with a 2 by 4.

• Divine Calm
    Jul 6, 2006 at 16:56

I was sick with bronchitus, so I feel your pain.