on the phone with my sister

“G’s pony died.” It’s my sister.

“Oh no. She ok?”

“Yeah. She is. But I’m not.”

“Sorry ’bout that. What happened to it?”

“Not the pony. Our dogs.”

“Huh?”

“You know, our dogs. Yours and mine. When we were little. I was telling mom this morning about the pony and how glad I am that husband took care of it before the girls got up. ”

“Yup…”

“Cause I would hate for them to see something like that. The trauma and all.”

“I bet.”

“So I say to mom ‘you know, it really bothered me when Dad put the dog down that time’…..” She lowers her voice and I know exactly what she’s gonna say. “…. in front of us.”

“Poor Guts” I shake my head and picture the sweet little herniated stray my sister and I picked up when we were kids.

“Exactly! And you know what she says?” She pauses. For effect. The way she does when she’s got a doozie. “She says ‘your daddy had to shoot Pup, he was really sick’ ………..and I’m like …….HE KILLED PUP!?”

Holy crap. “He killed Pup too!”

“That’s what I’m saying!”

“Pup didn’t run away?”

“Seriously. I mean, good grief. No wonder we have issues.”

She sighs. I agree. Then we start talking about pilates and core flexibility.

Sisters are the best therapy.

• Scarlet
    May 31, 2006 at 13:20

Yay for sisters!

May 31, 2006 at 14:40

Amen. My sister and I can have entire conversations without forming a complete thought. I love it.

• CeCe
    May 31, 2006 at 14:47

My lil sis is going through her first heartbreak. Shes 17 and its so weird because it’s like watching myself 5 years ago. Though I wasn’t nearly as smart about boys as she is.

• Melissa
    May 31, 2006 at 15:28

When my older brother (who is 11 years my senior) was young, my grandparents had a little Chihuahua named Wuzzie. Next door to them was a family with a large German Shepherd. One day, the GS chased Wuzzie into the street and he was hit by a car and died. So my grandfather shot off one of the shepherd’s legs. I shit you not. That’s how they handle it in Mississippi.

• kerri anne
    May 31, 2006 at 16:48

Sisters are the best therapy, indeed. They are also the best with whom to laugh at pilates and each other’s lack of core flexibility. ; )

• Angel
    May 31, 2006 at 20:07

We had a chihuahua when I was little but she kept having bathroom issues and not behaving.. one day she just disappeared. I figured out much later they gave her away.. however, I still have never forgiven my parents for that.

• Shellz
    May 31, 2006 at 20:44

When I was a child, my mother buried my beloved stuffed rabbit toy in the garden without telling me. I cried for days, and only found out the truth a few short years ago. I cried for days then, and now, at 33, I still haven’t truly forgiven her.

• Sweety
    May 31, 2006 at 20:48

Awww, poor little dog. Yay for sisters (but what do I know, I don’t have any 🙂

• windblownbutterfly
    May 31, 2006 at 20:50

The things parents do in the name of “protecting” children… sometimes it’s so obviously ridiculous.

• Dan Flynn
    May 31, 2006 at 21:00

“He killed Pup too!” Brilliant.

• Dagoth
    Jun 1, 2006 at 0:11

Hi Buffy

I grew up on a farm in Pennsylvania and our parents never hid these things from us. I guess on a farm you get used to having to “put down” animals, whether they are the farm animals (for their reasons) or pets when they get sick.

Jun 1, 2006 at 1:24

Nothing like sisters. Especially in loss, well, in gain, in all times!

• The Real Me
    Jun 1, 2006 at 13:20

My friend’s dog died in the winter and they wanted to bury it… problem was, the ground was frozen…

The kept the dog in the freezer until spring.

True story.

And you think YOU need therapy!!

Jun 1, 2006 at 14:06

I always wished I had a sister. You are a lucky gal!

• Jay
    Jun 1, 2006 at 17:48

I have 3 sisters, 3 too many.
    But it’s nice that some sisters can have real relationships.

• Dawn (webmiztris)
    Jun 1, 2006 at 18:08

I don’t have sisters, so I have my conversations with myself. So where do we sign up for that therapy? 😉

• Justacoolcat
    Jun 1, 2006 at 21:32

My sister always saves the day. Thank god for sisters.

• Amy K
    Jun 2, 2006 at 1:03

I dont take for granted my close relationships with my two sisters. I love it when we analyze childhood experiences as adults…it can be fun at times, sad at others, but always good to talk about.

• tallglassofvino
    Jun 2, 2006 at 14:42

funny, my sister and I have vastly different memories about stuff from our childhood (we’re 2 yrs apart) and its weird how I can see who she is NOW by remembering who she was THEN… does that make any sense at all?
    I didn’t think so either…

Jun 2, 2006 at 15:13

Melissa – I totally believe you. I think your grandfather was my neighbour. 🙂

Kerri – the sister is the only one I’d let see me in my early yoga days…because of the laugh factor and all.

Real Me – You gotta blog about that!

Amy K – Yup. Yup. And Yup.

Vino – I know exactly what you’re saying. It’s the same with my sister who’s three years my junior.

And yes Dan. He killed Pup too. (And Guts and Trigger and Grizzly and a handful of nameless strays.) *sigh* Poor Pup.

• Tanisha
    Jun 2, 2006 at 19:22

I always wanted a sister. You were lucky..
    T

• Stephanie
    Jun 3, 2006 at 3:18

I love your writing. I hope to have daughters someday and am interested in seeing how a sisterhood works!

• Bonnie
    Jun 3, 2006 at 16:43

Excellent, Buffy! This is a good one!

• Serena
    Jun 5, 2006 at 21:37

I hate it when parents suddenly feel you’re old enough to reveal the “truth” to.