relay for life

“There is no cure for cancer. This is why we walk….”
-Carolynn Johnson

Carolynn Johnson had just turned 37 years old when she found out she was pregnant. Within a two week period, she was also diagnosed with breast cancer. A radical mastectomy was recommended. She agreed. To protect her unborn child and in spite of risks to herself she ignored the request by her physician to have an abortion and waited until her second trimester to begin therapy. It would take eight rounds of chemo before Carolynn was able to begin her new life as a mother…and a survivor. She has walked for seven years.

Relay for Life

My sister called me this morning and asked me to read her friend’s story. “She’s got a blog. Please look at it.” Now I’m asking you to do the same. If you don’t think you have the time, make it. Without a cure, over 10 million women will die from breast cancer in the next 25 years. If you don’t think it concerns you, you’re wrong: If you are a woman you’re at risk. If you have a wife, mother, daughter or sister. They’re at risk. It concerns us all.

This year Carolynn and her Crew will participate in the American Cancer Society’s RELAY FOR LIFE. A veteran of both the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, Carolynn has helped raise over $150,000 for breast cancer research. She walks again on June 30.

The RELAY FOR LIFE is an overnight event led by the American Cancer Society to help raise money for the fight against breast cancer. Please help by sponsoring Carolynn and her Crew.

Checks can be made payable to The American Cancer Society, and mailed to:
Carolynn Johnson
Carolynn’s Crew
PO Box 1551
North Tazewell, VA 24630

You can also paypal funds to carolynn@pinkribbonmiracle.com.

If personal cheques and paypal aren’t your thing you can also donate direct to the Susan G. Komen foundation or the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.

Please spread the word by linking to or digging this link.

Susan G Komen

• pia
    Mar 23, 2007 at 22:47

My only comment on the post policy doesn’t extend to causes such as this, so I will keep the comment and happilly link to it.

• steph
    Mar 24, 2007 at 3:20

im glad you did this!! my step mom is going to walk in a near by town…. a 40 mile walk!! there are alot of ppl in our family affected by this!!

• Karah
    Mar 24, 2007 at 4:35

Our student life department have been working on a relay for life project and have this thing called “Give a flip about cancer” and people who are going to walk are donating old flip flops… yeah, they’re hanging them where I work and the place smells like feet lol

Thanks for commenting on my blog!

• Amra Pajalic
    Mar 24, 2007 at 8:15

Thanks for linking this. Just read her story and it was amazing. What a miracle and its inspirational how she’s taking her life experience to help others.

• brookem
    Mar 24, 2007 at 13:57

effing cancer. i think this is a wonderful cause. so many people in my life have been affected by the nasty disease. thank you for sharing this.

• BB
    Mar 24, 2007 at 15:39

I am might do the relay for life because my wife’s job is a big supporter of it. I am signing up for the breast cancer three day. I want to help find a cure for this disease before my daughter is old enough to get it.

• E
    Mar 24, 2007 at 16:35

Very informative article Buffy. Your right breast cancer does concern all women, and we all should be concern. I will read the story.

• Lydia
    Mar 24, 2007 at 16:35

Thank you, Buffy!!! Cures are getting closer every day–but until then all cancer survivors have is the people willing to listen to their stories, and willing to believe that a difference can be made. I lost my friend of 40 years last September to breast cancer that had spread, and I miss her every day, so much. I am ashamed–I should have put links like these in the piece I wrote about it–I am so glad you put them in yours. Thank you for telling us about Carolynn!

• thethinker
    Mar 25, 2007 at 1:13

A friend of mine lost her fight to breast cancer two weeks ago. Awareness for things like this are so important, so thanks for posting this.

• carolynn
    Mar 25, 2007 at 12:40

Buffy,
    Thank you so very much for taking the time to visit my site, and read my story. I am blessed to have my life spared. Not only do I walk to raise funds and find a cure, I walk to represent the face of a survivor. Cancer is a terrible disease. It effects us and everyone around us.
    If any of you face this…BELIEVE. Even when the statistics are against you. Even when they tell you there’s only a 20% chance of surviving. SOMEONE is in that 20%;–why can’t it be you?

Many thanks to all of you who are doing something, anything, to help rid the world of cancer.

• Cris
    Mar 25, 2007 at 17:58

Buffy,
    Thanks so much for helping to spread Carolynn’s story to others. I think we sometimes ignore things until we are hit on a personal level by it. My husband and I will proudly walk with Carolynn’s crew this year. We walk with her so that we WON’T have to walk for our mothers, our sisters, or our daughters.
    For anyone who reads this story, if you haven’t been affected by cancer, please become involved before you are. We are all at risk. For those of you who are fighting, keep fighting.
    We will walk with Carolynn’s Crew because we believe in a world without cancer. Thanks again for your efforts to touch people with this story.
    Cris

• Janie
    Mar 26, 2007 at 17:13

Thanks Buffy:)

I signed the guestbook at the Pink Ribbon Miracle website.

As a 14 year survivor of breast cancer; I know of what she speaks.

• Dawn
    Mar 26, 2007 at 17:13

Thank you for sharing this. It is indeed a major problem and it would be so nice to see them come up with a cure.

Mar 26, 2007 at 19:12

This is something that has hit too many of us too personally! Thanks for getting in touch with me about it!

• julie
    Mar 27, 2007 at 22:11

Thanks for this Buffy. What an awesome thing to do. Especially right now. I’m having a breast biopsy this Thursday. And Elizabeth Edwards and Tony Snow announcing their return of cancer this past week. It’s a scary thing.

• Monica/Monimania
    Apr 4, 2007 at 4:10

very cool, My fiance got cancer and hes FINE now 🙂 ( 1 1/2 kidneys but fine!) he got off easy with no chemo or radiation! thanks for the link!

• chiefbiscuit
    May 1, 2007 at 0:12

I have been having the time of my life reading through your wonderful writing. Thanks for your note on my blog and the chance to link back. IMHO you are one fantastic writer with a compelling voice. I find your writing riveting. I’d like to read your book when you get published.