pemberley

After watching Jane Austen’s finest (version 2005) and developing not a little crush on Matthew Macfadyen

I’ve spent hours-into-days staring slack jawed at the Painted Hall. Wanting to touch, but not touch, the Veiled Vestal. Wishing the huge yew maze was large enough to get lost in. (It really isn’t.) It’s this thing you do in England. On weekends. If you fancy a picnic. Or a scenic stroll. One feels obliged to take advantage of all the many beautiful things on their doorstep. Pemberley, by way of Chatsworth, was once on mine.

Chatsworth House

Flynn and I in 2003. Atop the 300 year old Cascade at Darcy’s own.

Tags:

• anne
    Jan 14, 2008 at 0:00

Ahh…Pemberley. I have to say I am much more in love with the BBC version than the 05 one…

• ttcmb
    Jan 14, 2008 at 0:41

It is so beautiful there. I would love to be able to go there.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have been poking around yours and I have to admit that I am totally smitten with it. I love the way you write and your sense of humor.

• steph
    Jan 14, 2008 at 16:25

def a place you will have to take me to one day!

• Virginia
    Jan 14, 2008 at 17:23

Oh my gosh, Matthew Macfadyen. I basically melt every time I watch that movie (which is just about weekly). The scene at the end. Swoon!

• Princess Pointful
    Jan 15, 2008 at 4:39

Dreamy comes to mind when I think of that particular Mr. Darcy.

And mazes are meant to be lost in. I think the last time I was in one I purposely tried to lose my sense of direction a little.

• JP
    Jan 15, 2008 at 5:17

No fair…you’ve got Pemberley at your back door. That’s England for you. My wife agrees with me, here…Colin Firth is the ultimate D’arcy. And Ms. Ehle is a pretty good Elizabeth, too. What say you?

• continuitygirl
    Jan 27, 2008 at 21:50

How can you like Matthew McFadden’s Darcy? he’s not a patch on Colin Firth

• Kristy Colley
    Feb 8, 2008 at 19:56

I’m going to skip the McFadden/Firth controversy and just step right into it:

Pemberly. Is. Amazing.