words and stuff. 1

jet lag: also jet·lag (jÄ•t’lăg’) n. – A temporary disruption of bodily rhythms caused by high-speed travel across several time zones typically in a jet aircraft marked by fatigue, insomnia, and irritability.

I don’t travel well with others. Especially when I can scream at them. I can scream at HIM. I try not to. And usually do a pretty good job with the trying. Until HE comes out with something like this:

“Why say four words when you can say a thousand? The mouth on you woman! Go on. It’s your job. Just get on with it!”

My job being the single handed unpacking of 125 kilograms of luggage which mostly belongs to him and which I also single handedly packed. HIS job, apparently, being driving to and from the airport after 21 hours in transit. Getting in at 1 a.m. Or six. Depending on which clock our bodies atune to. And in the process somehow managing to forget that I was stuck right there beside him through the whole thing.

HE’s since apologised in an as-it-should-be grovelling kind of way. And will be doing laundry, ironing and cooking in penance. He will also be cleaning the Louboutins that plug holed a garden at a country wedding earlier this month. He just doesn’t know it yet.

• Amy
    Jul 19, 2007 at 18:47

If you send me the Louboutins, I’ll clean them for you.

And I promise to send them back. (what size feet?)

• Angie
    Jul 19, 2007 at 21:48

I am stuck on the Louboutins, too; thanks bunches. I had to eat potato chips recently because of you. Do you think I can control myself and refrain from spending $900 on some red-soled shoes?

We shall see.

Jul 19, 2007 at 22:02

I rationalised the red soles by cutting up the credit card and then staying sick over it for two years. I’ve also bought nothing but chuck taylors and 2 for 1 ballet flats ever since. I’m still sick, mind. But less so.

• S William Shaw
    Jul 19, 2007 at 22:45

If I find a screaming woman on a plane, I won’t ask if she is a blogging writer.

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:39

My dear Shaw. I exercise cool restraint whilst inflight. Even last month when I was forced to spend 5 hours on the runway before setting off on a 7 hour flight. And again last night when, with a meager 3 hours stuck on the runway and a short 2 hour connecting flight to look forward to – I was a model passenger.

• wn
    Jul 20, 2007 at 11:47

hehe, this made me chuckle…travel can TRULY bring out the worst in people at times….we seem to have the absolute most VICIOUS fights when traveling…but then again, traveling has also brought me some of my sweetest memories.

I guess it’s all worth it in the end!

• K
    Jul 20, 2007 at 13:12

You sound like the world’s coolest travel partner. Please come with me on my next vacation!

• K
    Jul 20, 2007 at 13:13

Also, I PROMISE I will not say that to you.

• steph
    Jul 20, 2007 at 16:49

haha..i take it you had a good trip home huh…

• Amra Pajalic
    Aug 23, 2007 at 10:57

There was a woman I worked with who always had seperate seats from her husband. That woman was so damn smart and I’m so jelaous of her. My preference would be to go on different planes and meet each other. That would be the perfect trip.