twittering wisely

Is it twitter or flitter? Or flat as a fritter? I can’t remember. I have an account. I don’t use it. That’s what blogs are for. Right?

I’m devouring Flannery O’Connor right now. I bought a book of her short stories in a college town a few months back and carry it around with me everywhere – stop and take a bite whenever I get a chance. Commuting. Brunching. Treadmilling – back in February I couldn’t even think and run at the same time. Now I can read and have it make sense. I even use little pink flags to tab the best bits.

I vaguely remember working my way through one or two of the Georgian’s shorts in high school. But I didn’t appreciate her or her style back then. Being a victim of the whole “woods/tree/can’t see” phenomenon and all.

My writing prompt for today read: If you could interview any writer, living or dead, who would be and what would you ask them?

For me it would have to be Flannery. I wouldn’t waste time asking her questions though. I’d just sit and listen to her talk.

• Brittany
    Jun 20, 2007 at 17:06

This is difficult. I’d definitely want to interview Joyce Carol Oates and find out where she gets her inspiration. Some authors only produce pieces every couple of years or even every decade or so and she always finds enough inspiration to continue writing, regardless of the genre. I want to ahve that sort of dedication and insight into the world to find stories to tell. I think I’d also want to interview Zadie Smith, and ask her about the pressures of being so young and successful. How did she come about her success, her inspiration, her career goals? Does she even have any? Does she feel pressure to always create mind-blowing epics (which they always seem to be to me, what with all of the characters and events)?

• Tia
    Jun 20, 2007 at 22:21

I’d love to listen to Mark Twain.

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:58

Brittany,

You’re a girl after my own heart. I’m totally biased when it comes to Zadie Smith…and adore everything she writes.

Oates I had the opportunity to meet just yesterday. I was a nervous wreck. My knees shook and everything. She was delightful and engaging and reminded me of someone I love very much. And still the knees shook.

• Amy K
    Jun 21, 2007 at 13:44

Sitting down with J.D. Salinger would be my first choice. I wonder how much of Holden I would uncover in him?

• Nikki
    Jun 21, 2007 at 19:38

Buffy I love your writing. I also just read a Flannery O’Connor book. It haunted me for days.
    Not sure who I would interview there are so many authors I admire. Maybe Joan Didion….

Jun 22, 2007 at 14:17

THank you Nikki. Was it Wise Blood? Or one of her short stories? Because her shorts can do pretty much the same thing.

I’m ashamed to say I’ve never read a Joan Didion book. I was just telling someone yesterday how sadly lacking I am when it comes to contemporary american lit. It’s awful and terrible and I’ve faced more than a few shocked expressions lately when saying it..but it’s true. And something I’m trying to remedy. I’ve a JD ready for my next flight.

• kerrianne
    Jun 26, 2007 at 5:02

I love me some Flannery O’Conner. And Joyce Carol Oates. Big fan. And I twitter. Or tweet? Sort of. It’s mildly addictive. Like popcorn at the movies, or chocolate and coffee.

• Lynn
    Jul 6, 2007 at 16:05

Have you read The Geranium yet? That is my favorite. It’s really quite sad. I hate to say it but I would probably want to interview Turman Capote. That time really fascinates me and I like his dishiness. He was also such an unbelievable writer. I think perhaps Salinger would be interesting, too, but creepy.