where i’m from

Where I’m from

I am from country roads, Crisco and my grandfather’s violin. From the shadow on the wall. The smell of wood and rain. Grape crape myrtles, rhododendrons and muddy water.

I am from Sunday afternoons and farmers. From Sullie, Virgie and Boo. The storytellers and the hand wavers. The hush and the holler.

I am from tent arbors and cathedrals. ‘Down by the river’ and myrrh.

From Rock, West Virginia. Mountaineers and Miners. Dumplings and beans.

I am from Pa – who saw the mountain fall. From my brother – and a broken neck.

I am from my grandmother’s wardrobe. A book of gold and red. Of were and is and….

Don’t forget.

Buffy Holt

• kerri
    Apr 27, 2006 at 18:14

Love this exercise. I did this in a creative writing class back in the day. Love the “book of gold and red.”

• Jodi
    Apr 27, 2006 at 18:25

what’s the exercise about? looks interesting, and i want to try it! i love your blog! ~Jodi

• Scarlet
    Apr 27, 2006 at 19:50

I have the link to this but haven’t done it yet…maybe tonight.

Apr 27, 2006 at 20:37

This is gorgeous and I love it to bits and pieces. What type of excercise is it?

• continuitygirl
    Apr 27, 2006 at 20:40

This is really pretty I like it

• Battlerocker
    Apr 27, 2006 at 20:58

You write very well. I’m glad you happened to stop by so that I was able to find my way here. Nice work.

• Ken
    Apr 28, 2006 at 1:02

Outside of the exercise, no. Dont forget. Keep writing it down. Elaborate for us.
    Ken

• Barbara
    Apr 28, 2006 at 1:12

Beautiful! I did this exercise too, I recommend it to all because it really brings your life in focus.

• Bernita
    Apr 28, 2006 at 11:35

So aching, so beautiful.
    Thank you.

• Steph
    Apr 28, 2006 at 14:07

You are so smart! I LOVE YOU!

• Lynn
    Apr 28, 2006 at 15:36

This is a great exercise and I am sure it lead you to more. Hope you choose to share. I can’t say that I relate. If I were to do this exercise it would be all about cul de sacs and processed foods. So nice to get to know you.

• Liz
    Apr 28, 2006 at 15:56

So short, yet so sweet.

• C.
    Apr 28, 2006 at 20:10

Great stuff!! Love your blog! First time visitor..

C.

• bossy britches
    Apr 28, 2006 at 22:14

very nice..

thanks for stopping by, I hope to see you again..

• Carrie
    Apr 29, 2006 at 0:15

thanks for stopping by my site. I’m enjoying yours!

• tremendoustim
    Apr 29, 2006 at 0:40

Buffy, My brother-in-law is from WVga, so I’ve heard his stories, the’re good.
    But, your post stopped me in my tracks and put muscle on the bones. You are a fabulously talented writer,and person altogether, thank you for writing!!

• Junebugg
    Apr 29, 2006 at 7:01

I did this one a while back. It brought such sweet memories to mind, things that I’d forgotten.

• nongirlfriend
    Apr 29, 2006 at 21:53

I love that writing exercise…it’s fun and it brings back so many memories!

Where I’m From

• windblownbutterfly
    Apr 30, 2006 at 2:36

After reading your kind comment on my own blog, I had to come have a look at yours. You are an awesome writer! I am definitely a fan already.

• Amy K
    Apr 30, 2006 at 16:52

I am of Sunday mornings and azaleas, I think.
    What a thought-provoking writing exercise. Beautiful as always, Buffy.

• Kay Richardson
    Apr 30, 2006 at 19:59

Love your style. Love your pages. I will make a more visits. I promise.

• Barbara
    May 1, 2006 at 3:09

I love these poems. They are so wonderful to read and wonderful to write.

• my backyard
    May 1, 2006 at 18:52

I liked this, too!
    I’m taking a poetry writing class — my very first one. I might try this exercise to loosen me up.
    By the way, thanks for commenting on my blog recently.

• Janet
    May 5, 2006 at 22:52

Wow! Beautiful. You are a wonderful writer.

• Dawn
    May 6, 2006 at 3:15

I too, am from West Virginia. Born in Wheeling.

See, great things come from WVA.

• owlhaven
    Jun 14, 2006 at 20:37

Lovely!!!

Mary

• sugarfoot
    Jul 4, 2006 at 3:05

National Geographic, September, 1978 – My grandfather the New Mexican fiddle player.

Dusty mountain roads of the New Mexico mountains, bacon fat, hay fields and a land that time forgot.

• Trisha
    Jul 29, 2006 at 6:45

Thanks for stopping by my blog. How did you stumble upon me? The West Virginia thing?

• thehoneymoonisover
    Aug 4, 2006 at 16:02

Wow, you dropped all your sh-t and took off for England to just write all day. Serious. Envy. And very inspiring. Good luck to you.

• Defensive_twat
    Aug 11, 2006 at 12:15

i’m so glad you left a comment on my blog and i was able to find yours. i haven’t written in so long and since i’m living in a new country with not much to do i’ve been trying to get back into writting again. your blog is great. i really like your writting style. it’s motivating me to write more. thanks!!

• paperback writer
    Sep 18, 2006 at 18:10

Did you forget about the crick?

Sep 18, 2006 at 18:31

Now, how could I forget about the crick!!! Or is it cric? Or crik? I can never remember.

• Emily
    Sep 20, 2006 at 16:12

Damn you, Buffy. Why’d you have to stop by my blog? I looked and I’m hooked. (Sorry). AAARRRGG!

• Paul N.
    Jan 9, 2007 at 12:49

I enjoyed your poem. Thank you. I posted one, too, about a year ago. Link below. Now I’m about to teach the idea to senior citizens in an assisted living community. I’m looking forward to that.

• Donna
    Jan 25, 2007 at 20:42

I have done this exercise more than once, but did it this morning again; it’s rather healing, I believe. Then I googled “where I’m from” and looked at what a few others have done with it.

This comment will probably get lost in the shuffle, since this is an older entry of yours.

• hanulf
    Feb 19, 2007 at 21:43

Just found this and loved it!!! Made my own attempt here:

I too, found lots of others who have done this – it makes for beautiful reading.

• debbie
    Jul 7, 2008 at 14:52

I’m from the hollers with steep inclines, where folk lore remains wandering aimlessly lost and faded with time. Where two little girls played, dreamed and grew, one brunette the other blonde like you. Where everyone feared the woman in white, where we whispered and peaked out our window on star lit nights, wanting to see her and scared with fright that we might. Others had seen her and lived to tell….of the lonely woman, in white who walks the trail. No one knows where she’s going or where she’s been. If she walked the hills searching or repenting from some mortal sin. We’re grown today with families of our own, and yet on starry nights when we hear the song of the whipperwill, we wonder back down the dusty lanes of time and wonder…..Will we see her tonight, do you think we will?

• Kitty Auvil
    Jul 16, 2008 at 3:28

Great! Loads of talent. Brings back the “Good Ole’ Days”. Of creeks trickling, robins singing, the smell of honeysuckle sweet, and on a quiet night you can almost hear the moon rise over the blueridge mountains. Thanks for the memories. Tell Debbie The woman in white is lost and wants to go go home, taken form this world too soon. She does not understand it it time to go on. And by the way some kids pee on you when you spend the night with them 🙂

• Sandy
    Jul 26, 2008 at 13:28

Thanks for the visit. I like creating things and those present cakes were in my head and had to come out – perfect or not.
    Your writing seems to be very open and really about your thoughts. My story is similar but different from yours. I am from Iowa, met a man in Europe who was from West Virginia, so we came here to live. It has been an experience.
    I love to travel and have seen most of the states, most of Europe, and am hoping to visit the rest of the world. I work with people who do not understand leaving their neighborhood and dwell on the local history as if it were important to the rest of the world. They ask why I want to travel. I ask why they don’t. But then knowing enough about Rock and Iaeger and the places in between I expect you have had the same conversations. Good Luck out there!

• Tom
    Dec 14, 2008 at 19:10

Excellent, a really grounding exercise

• Michelle Phillips Whittaker
    May 18, 2010 at 21:39

Buffy, I did not know you very well in high school due to different grades. But I love your blog and it sounds like you have had great adventures in your life. Writing is not my best quality. I learned that while working on my masters degree and will continue to work on that with my PhD. I wish you well and will continue to visit your log.