fried chicken and a not-so-lazy e

Appalachian folk. We’re all about long vowels, pass the chicken and praise the Lord. Until we move to the city. Then it’s a little more staccato, foie gras and well I use to be a Baptist.

Vowels were never a friend to me in the slow lazy way they are to some people. My primary school speech therapist, an Episcopalian from Connecticut, pulled my ear and called me a hillbilly if I drew them out too much.

I stopped eating fried chicken when I moved to England because the Pakistani Proprietors of the ‘Kansas Fried Chicken’ takeaway on the corner couldn’t work the same soul food magic Ma did.

I still send up Hallelujahs, but they’re sometimes in Latin. (I really don’t think God speaks American.)

Moving to another country changed me in more ways than one. No doubt about it. But I think life itself did the real trick. No matter where you hang your hat….people change.

Take Earl. I hear she’s getting married. Earls don’t get married. They drink and party until the early hours and then go home to a pet rottweiler.

Flynn’s not her old self either. Rock. Retro. Raging Feminist.

Jo has a job. Who’d have thought.

And Chris. Chris use to wear baseball caps and sweatpants. Pajama’s and bad breath to class. Now she wears diamond studs and a watch worth more than a midsized sedan.

Me, I still like pearls and expensive shoes but I wouldn’t eat the family cow if you paid me.

Yes. Sometimes people change. Even in the mountains.

• Vikas goyal
    Dec 26, 2005 at 18:14

Hi,
    It is said that change is the only constant thing in this world, But i will say that at the same time, Be optimistic that change will be for good only and enjoy the life in whatever situation u are.

• Deb
    Dec 28, 2005 at 0:08

I had to stop eating fried chicken only because my arteries were starting to harden up like cement. Gotta be careful with that stuff- even though it’s sooooooooo good. Or, just drink loads of wine to thin out the blood. 😉

Dec 28, 2005 at 1:34

Sounds like a plan. 🙂

• Misti
    Feb 20, 2006 at 20:39

Who is this Earl character? Sounds like a very interesting person that I would like to get to know. I bet she is really something! By the way, Earl’s go home to German Shepherds now.

• Berry
    May 21, 2006 at 2:33

They have Kansas Fried Chicken in England? Oh my!

• Joyce B.
    May 30, 2006 at 15:52

I like this post and the link to the one about your old friends. I’m having fun reading you older entries!

I haven’t had good fried chicken in years and I still live in Texas! All of this nutritional knowledge just kills it for me!

• Courtney
    Jul 23, 2006 at 17:52

This post made me crave my Granny’s chicken and dumplin’s… If there is a Cracker Barrel in California near me, there’s just aren’t quite the same.

It’s funny to see a different perspective… When I go back to Tennessee I feel like time is standing still. Sure, the roads may have widened and there’s a few more stripmalls everytime, but the people are exactly the same as when I left almost 10 years ago. It’s my constant.

• paperback writer
    Sep 18, 2006 at 18:18

Same place, different viewpoints.

My parents are immigrants and therefore not subject to the fire and brimstone that my classmates were sometimes subjected.

But to echo the first comment, the only constant is change.

• Barbra L
    Feb 9, 2007 at 15:47

Buffy:

I loved reading this! It was funny, true to life and had great magnetic lines that pulledd me right in to every word.

Great writing!

Barbra L

• Barbra L
    Feb 9, 2007 at 15:51

Buffy:
    Sorry about the misspell of ‘pulled’ above. I did not catch it quickly enough. Barbra L

• Julie
    Sep 22, 2008 at 15:18

Beautiful. You make me so homesick. Yes, I’ve changed a lot, too. But I still think long, curling vowels are the coolest. Thanks for sharing. You’re an awesome writer, Buffy.